Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero (https://studentloanhero.com
) is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Media Outreach Specialist do?
The mission of the Media Outreach Specialist is to earn media placements aimed at marketing Student Loan Hero as a leader in the student loan and personal finance space. Success is measured by number of quality media placements earned. This work positively impacts our SEO rankings as well as brings referral traffic back to our site.
The ideal candidate for this position should have an entrepreneurial mindset, and be ready to take on and initiate new projects as he or she sees the need arise. Success in this role will require self-motivation and an eagerness to learn.
- Build strong relationships with editors
- Promote outreach-driven content (surveys, data studies, reports, etc.)
- Pitch relevant stories, based on news cycles/current events
- Secure byline/contributor opportunities
- Work closely with content team members during the content creation process
- Communicate editor feedback to outreach and content teams
- Assist media outreach specialists, as-needed
- Other duties as-assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Basecamp, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend working.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency - we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Bachelor’s degree in PR, communications, marketing, or related studies, preferred
- 2+ minimum years of direct experience, required
- Basic understanding of content marketing, link building, and SEO, required
- Experience performing digital PR for a content marketing/SEO firm, required
- Demonstrated experience in content marketing strategy, preferred
- Self-starter with the ability and desire to work under limited supervision
- Strong skills in communication
- MUST show RECENT examples (past 6 months) of syndications, placements, and/or links earned on other sites
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.
We're not accepting applications from agencies.